Social action and community service programs and initiatives are integrated into the fabric of Channing Memorial Church. The congregation’s Social Action Committee (SAC) engages in service, advocacy, education and political action programs and projects to support and promote justice, human rights, and care for our neighbors. Other committees, departments and groups, such as Family Ministry and Religious Education, Interweave, and The Learning Center also engage in social justice projects. Involvement in all programs is welcomed.
Social Action and Community Service Programs & Projects of Channing Memorial Church.
- Community Meal — a dinner meal prepared and served each month for homeless and economically disadvantaged individuals ( approximately 600 meals a year).
- Breakfast at the McKinney Shelter – a breakfast meal prepared and served once a month to the Shelter’s residents.
- Holiday giving drives – a giving tree for children and teens, providing 20 – 30 gifts each Christmas; gift bag with various items for individuals at the December Community Meal.
- Pajama Gift Project –pajamas distributed through a Newport school to economically disadvantaged children.
- Born This Way Prom – A free dance held in April for LGBTQ teens and allies.
- Share the Plate Program –a portion of the Sunday offering each month given to a social service agency (approximately $6000 annually).
- Guest at Your Table – an annual collection donated to the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee to support their justice and emergency relief work.